WCTE/NCTE High School Teacher of Excellence Award Deadline July 1! Nominate a great teacher now!
The Secondary Section of the National Council of Teachers of English recognizes and celebrates high school classroom teachers, and WCTE will nominate one statewide winner for this national award who exemplifies excellence as an English Language Arts teacher.
Nomination materials should include the following:
For WCTE Award:
- One letter of recommendation from a nominating party.
For NCTE Award:
- Two letters of recommendation from at least TWO different constituencies–principal, supervisor, chairperson, peer, parent or student. (One of which was already submitted for the statewide award, and another to be contributed from a person of the award-winner’s choosing.)
- A professional resume.
Process & Due Dates:
- Nominations for Wisconsin teachers are usually sent to WCTE by April 1st. But this year the date is extended to July 1.
- A committee organized by the WCTE Awards Chair will review all nominations and select a winner of the statewide award by mid-July.
- In other years, the statewide winner will be notified of the award and invited to submit additional nomination materials, including a resume and second letter of nomination (from a supporter of their choosing), for the NCTE award, mid-May. But this year WCTE’s deadline is after NCTE’s deadline.
- In other years, the nomination materials for the NCTE award is submitted by WCTE on behalf of the statewide award winner on or before June 1st.
WCTE Annual Convention Awards Ceremony:
Statewide winner will be honored as WCTE’s High School Teacher of Excellence at the WCTE annual convention in October, and receive free registration for the convention’s main day. At the convention, the award winner will be presented with the award during the awards ceremony.
NCTE Honor Luncheon:
NCTE will honor each affiliate’s selected candidate at the Secondary Luncheon at the November NCTE convention. State winners are responsible for their own attendance at the convention, but reserved seating will be offered and WCTE will purchase the luncheon ticket. A certificate from the Secondary Section will be provided at the luncheon along with a booklet highlighting comments from the letters of recommendation.
For Further Information:
Please contact WCTE Awards Chair, Brad Bryan.