WCTE Award for Diversity and Inclusion
This award shall be presented to a Wisconsin English teacher who through their actions…
- Creates a learning environment that provides a safe space for all students, regardless of any label
- Chooses texts, topics, and strategies that embrace the richness of human form and expression, i.e.:
- A diversity of texts and ideas,
- Topics that sometimes run counter to mainstream ideology, yet represent the experiences and interests of those with different abilities, racial or ethnic minority status, LGBTQA+ identities, and any other marginalized category,
- “Own Voices” literature, or texts that include marginalized characters written by authors who belong to that same community and write from a place of first-hand experience.
- Goes beyond the classroom to advocate for inclusion in the community, promoting equity in all areas, from tolerance to social justice.
- Celebrates and incorporates into instruction the cultural values of all students in the classroom.
- Excels at building relationships with students and families of various backgrounds and experiences
To nominate a teacher or teachers for this award, contact WCTE Awards Chair Brad Bryan with a detailed description of how the nominee(s) demonstrate the qualities and actions above. Nominations due date has been extended to June 1.
Inspired by the Teaching Tolerance Award for Excellence in Teaching.