WCTE Award for Diversity and Inclusion
This award shall be presented to a Wisconsin English teacher who through their actions…
- Creates a learning environment that provides a safe space for all students, regardless of any label
- Chooses texts, topics, and strategies that embrace the richness of human form and expression, i.e.:
- A diversity of texts and ideas,
- Topics that sometimes run counter to mainstream ideology, yet represent the experiences and interests of those with different abilities, racial or ethnic minority status, LGBTQA+ identities, and any other marginalized category,
- “Own Voices” literature, or texts that include marginalized characters written by authors who belong to that same community and write from a place of first-hand experience.
- Goes beyond the classroom to advocate for inclusion in the community, promoting equity in all areas, from tolerance to social justice.
- Celebrates and incorporates into instruction the cultural values of all students in the classroom.
- Excels at building relationships with students and families of various backgrounds and experiences
To nominate a teacher or teachers for this award, contact either of the WCTE Awards Chairs, Trista Owczarzak or Jennifer Kieren, with a detailed description of how the nominee(s) demonstrate the qualities and actions above. Nominations are due on May 15.
Inspired by the Teaching Tolerance Award for Excellence in Teaching.